BUNNY SCHOOL is a new program that Cherokee Flats provides to ALL new bunny owners, new bunny breeders, 4hers beginning to raise rabbits, or those who haven't had rabbits is a few years and wish to have a refresher course. It is REQUIRED that all new bunny owners attend "Bunny School" BEFORE the rabbit(s) leave CRC. This is to ensure that our rabbits go to homes that are prepared to care for them forever and understand the responsibility of owning a rabbit.
Below, you'll find a list of a few things that we will go over during "Bunny School"
- Bunny proofing your home for the house rabbit
- Nutrician requirements (how much feed and when to give it)
- Exercise requirements (rabbit runs for Spring - Fall exercise outside)
- Proper handling
- Grooming needs
- Cage needs (including showing you what type of cage you will need for the breed you are purchasing)
- Daily, weekly, and monthly "chore" list
- How to examine your rabbit for health issues (rabbit hide thier illnesses...so you won't know when "Hoppy" is sick)
- This includes checking ears, eyes, nose for discharge
- genital area for sores or wounds
- Feet for cuts, infections
- Body, neck, stomach for tumors or absesses.
- and much, much more...
We hold "Bunny School" evenings during the week and on weekends anytime. Please check the list below for schedule dates and times. IF we don't have anyone signed up for that day, class is canceled and I will post it up here. We "teach" one family at a time to provide them with all of our attention however are willing to teach multiple new breeders or a 4h club all in one group. We encourage questions and concerns that a family may have regarding their new baby's care. We are here even AFTER they have taken the rabbit home be it 1 week, 4 months or 4 years from now, CRC is here to help in anyway we can.
If you'd like to attend "Bunny School", please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and put [BUNNY SCHOOL] in the subject or call us at 309-530-4206.
The types of classes we offer and cost for each are below:
New Rabbit Owners -- PET ONLY
- FREE (is REQUIRED for all new pet owners)
New Rabbit Owners -- BREEDERS ONLY
- FREE with proof of ARBA membership
NEW RABBIT OWNERS -- 4Hers ONLY
- FREE with proof of 4H membership
NEW RABBIT OWNERS -- REFRESHER CLASS FOR PET OWNERS ONLY (if you haven't owned a rabbit within the last 5 years, this is recommended)
Bunny School Registration
EVERYONE must register for the classes 2 weeks PRIOR to the class being held. NO last minute registrations will be accepted no exceptions (sorry). This allows us ample time to gather, print and have ready ALL supplies needed for the class (i.e booklets, information, samples of nestboxes...ect) ALL cancelations must be made within 24 hours of the class by phone (309-530-4206). IF this is not done, we waste time and money getting stuff together. ALL classes are taught by Crystal Smith of CRC. She is giving her time and energy to these classes and only asks for fees (if applicable) to cover the cost of printing any papers, booklets....etc for the class. Please be considerate of that, and give ample notice for cancelations.