On this page, we will be adding informaition regarding several ailments that rabbits seem to be affected by. Remember. CONSULT YOUR VET for proper medicine dosages.
Rabbitry medicine chest -- CLICK HERE
For more information, visit Barbi Brown's Bunnies (http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm).
The common symptoms include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Tilted head
- Walking in circles
- Nystygmus (darting eye)
- Rolling (in later stages)
- Paralysis of the hind quarter
Early symptoms frequently overlooked are:
- Lack of movement around the cage - huddling in corner
- Loss of appetite
- Darting eye (nystygmus)
- Weepy eye
- Lying close to the floor with head down
- Weight loss
- Weaving from side to side
- Staggering gait
- Stargazing ( starring up at nothing)
If you have a rabbit that displays any of these symptoms RUN to your nearest rabbit savy vet.
Treatment for E. Cuniculi
- Ivermec 1% injectable solution for cattle (dosage for rabbits is 400 micrograms per lb of rabbit) given ASAP and then again in 7 days with repeated doses every 3 months as a preventative.
- Cleaning out cages, crocks, water bottles and anything else they come in contact with using 10% bleach solution. It's the ONLY thing that will kill these parasites.
- Continued management and preventative measures (i.e. monthly or twice yearly disinfecting)
If you have seen or had experience with E. Cuniculi, please email us at [email protected] We'd love to post about it here so that more people know about this odd parasite.
This is by no means meant to replace vet care. Please consult a licensed vet to proper diagnose your rabbit. Cody's Rabbit Cave is in no way responsible for any outcome from use of this page. REMEMBER. Consult a vet for proper diagnostics and treatment.